OUR STAFF WELCOMES YOU!
NEW ADMINISTRATOR!!! COMET--------GOOD LUCK COMET....
BLOG SITE UPDATED
THIS BLOG SITE WAS LAST UPDATED ON TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 15/09 (BsM)
SPONSOR A GUINEA PIG
Sponsor A Pig!
SIGN OUR GUESTBOOK
PLEASE STOP BY THE GUEST BOOK, & LET US KNOW THAT YOU WERE HERE. WE'D LOVE FOR YOU TO SAY HELLO. IT'S LOCATED BELOW THE LIBRARY.. (BsM)

How prepared are you for an Emergency?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How prepared are you for an Emergency?

Post  Admin on Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:07 pm

When my little Sylvester was sick last week, I was not prepared. But from that horrible experience, I am learning to be prepared for an emergency.

I have purchased a bag/that doubles as a pet carrier. This is my "vet bag", and I ONLY use it for emergencies. I have other pet carriers that I use to transport the boys to places. But my vet bag will only be used for emergencies, because I will have it constantly stocked for an emergency. That way when one of the boys is sick. All I have to do is grab the sick one, grab my "vet bag", and my house keys, and we're off to see a vet.

When you have time to plan a wellness check up with your vet, then there's no pressure to remember everything. But it's when there's an emergency that you really need to be organized.

So far I have:

--A LIST OF SAFE MEDICATIONS. I will be keeping a printed copy of this list. See GuineaLynx @ http://www.guinealynx.info/medications.html#index

--A LIST OF DANGEROUS MEDICATIONS. Also I will keep a printed copy with me at all times. See GuineaLynx @ http://www.guinealynx.info/dangerous_medications.html

--$200 CASH. Or the amount that you think will best cover an emergency. Stuff this into an envelope, and hide it inisde your vet bag. The last thing that you need to worry about is money in the event of an emergency.

--FLEECE BLANKETS. Make sure your sick one is comfortable in this vet bag. Because he is being transported from one place to another, while he is not feeling well.

--A DETAILED LIST OF EACH PIG'S MEDICAL HISTORY. On each of my boys I have a list of
1. Who their regular vet is.
2. Diagnosed illness
3. Date of diagnosed illness.
4. A list of medications that were prescribed to help overcome that illness.
5. Include exact dosage, and whether pro-biotics were prescribed.
6. Include any tests that they have had done.
DO THIS FOR EACH GUINEA PIG. The reason why you should do this, is if your guinea pig gets sick, and your vet is either on holidays, or not on call after hours. You will end up with someone who does not know your guinea pigs like your vet does. And in the middle of an emergency, it is hard to remember everything.

--UPDATED PHOTOS OF THEIR CAGE(S). Your vet may need to know what they have for bedding, or their cage arrangement is like at home. If you show your vet with photos - these will give him/her a good idea of what your guinea pig's life is like at home.

**I WILL BE CONTINUALLY ADDING TO THIS LIST**

BsM

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 357
Registration date : 2009-03-10

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top